- Never use a razor blade, putty knife, steel wool, abrasive pad or anything that may scratch the glass surface.
- Never use a pressure washer or high-pressure sprayer to wash or rinse windows, doors or skylights as this can dislodge seals and gaskets and damage frame components.
- Clean glass with a vinegar-based cleaner or mixture of a mild soap or detergent and water. Rinse completely with clear water, then wipe dry with a soft cloth or a squeegee to help avoid water spots. Always test cleaners in an inconspicuous area first.
- Avoid washing glass in direct sunlight to reduce streaking of the glass.
- Avoid abrasive, petroleum-based or caustic cleaners as they may cause damage to the finish or the glass.
- When painting, staining or finishing sash or frame components adjacent to glass surfaces the use of masking tape on the glass is recommended to protect it from splatter or overcoat that may require excessive clean-up.
- Clean screens by gently vacuuming with a brush attachment. Or, remove for cleaning and gently vacuum or wash on a flat, clean surface with mild soap and water and a soft brush. Rinse, wipe or air dry and reinstall.
(c)2017, American Architectural Manufacturers Association